Eco-Babyz
Eco-Babyz
A crunchy place for all things Green Parenting!
Skin Deep website logo

The Environmental Working Group's searchable database of toxic ingredients in cosmetic and personal care products.

< read all 4 reviews

Discover how toxic your skincare products are!

• Mar 3, 2009
Rating:
+5
I was rather surprised to find that the FDA does not regulate skin care products and their ingredients in any way, manufacturers can put anything they want in them. Ingredients that are known carcinogens are brooding nearly in all cosmetics and skin care products - with skin being our largest organ and it absorbs anything and everything. So this site is the only place where you can find out the toxicity of your products. If they do not have what you are looking for in their database, you can add the product if you have the packaging with all the ingredients listed.

I discovered this site through the Environmental Working Group and then I went crazy checking everything I have in my home for toxicity - then I tossed the things that rated really high and replaced them with greener alternatives, the things that rated in the middle we are using until we run out and then replacing them, the things that rated low - well, there were not many of those.

I found this site when I was pregnant, so immediately I looked for the least toxic diaper creams, baby shampoos, and other baby care items. I found out why I hated my mascara and it made my eyes itch, then replaced it with a healthier one that actually turned out to be better and cheaper. In my research I also learned that healthier skin care products are not necessarily more expensive, you just have to know where to look.
Discover how toxic your skincare products are!

What did you think of this review?

Helpful
Thought-Provoking
Fun to Read
Well-Organized
Post a Comment
May 22, 2011
I checked out this site and found it interesting and eye-opening! I too, like to buy products that are organic. The Health Food stores in my area have a limited amount of skin care products available, but have always found products on IHerb.com; from vitamins, to skin care, to just about anything you can think of, plus the prices are unbeatable. Thanks for sharing.

March 26, 2010
I am also always trying to concerned with not just a products "green" factor but also cruelty free as well. If there are must have essentials you know of for baby or mama please share with me if they are animal friendly! Thanks for sharing all this fantastic information!
March 27, 2010
I find that in general organic skincare products are mostly cruelty free. Although you can't apply that rule to large corporations that create 'natural' brands just to grab a share of the organics market. I am talking about smaller companies, usually the smaller the better their ethics! I am generalizing of course, but you can keep that in mind. I am not very familiar with all the brands yet, I am still exploring this area myself. I can recommend a great vegan supplement though, the Rainbow Light Prenatal Vitamin - which I am still taking while breastfeeding. :)

November 15, 2009
I use all MAC brand cosmetics (my sister is a makeup artist) and have been turning a blind eye to the fact that there are probably harmful chemicals present in these products. I think I just got the wake-up call I needed. Thank you!
November 15, 2009
You're welcome! I'm glad it helped :) Wish you a less toxic lifestyle in the coming year ;)

March 03, 2009
This site is awesome for checking your household, beauty, and food qualities. They also do a great job lobbying for consumer interests and spreading the word about not only cosmetics but any issue dealing with the environment. Great review

More Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Data... reviews
Quick Tip by . March 05, 2010
posted in Eco-Babyz
I can see why mamaz would make good use of this for their babiez! Very useful for choosing skin care products.
Quick Tip by . March 05, 2010
posted in Eco-Babyz
I don't buy any skincare products anymore without first checking how toxic they are on Skin Deep, especially for baby.
Quick Tip by . September 08, 2009
posted in Eco-Babyz
I don't buy any skincare products anymore without first checking how toxic they are on Skin Deep, especially for baby.
About the reviewer
Anastasia B ()
Ranked #1
I am a woman, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend, a Christ follower, an Interior Designer, a blog author, a cook, an artist, an eco-conscious consumer, a nature lover, … more
Consider the Source

Use Trust Points to see how much you can rely on this review.

You
EcoMama
Your ratings:
rate more to improve this
About this website

Skin Deep pairs ingredients in more than 41,000 products against 50 definitive toxicity and regulatory databases, making it the largest integrated data resource of its kind. Why did a small nonprofit take on such a big project? Because the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety.

Wiki

Skin Deep was launched in 2004, an online safety guide for cosmetics and personal care products. The aim was to fill in where companies and the government leave off: companies are allowed to use almost any ingredient they wish, and our government doesn't require companies to test products for safety before they're sold. EWG's scientists built Skin Deep to be a one-of-a-kind resource, integrating the in-house collection of personal care product ingredient listings with more than 50 toxicity and regulatory databases.

Now in its fourth year and third major update, the Skin Deep database provides you with easy-to-navigate safety ratings for nearly a quarter of all products on the market — 42,564 products with 8,340 ingredients. At about one million page views per month, Skin Deep is the world's largest and most popular product safety guide.

Skin Deep helps fuel the nationwide Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a coalition of public health, educational, religious, labor, womens, environmental and consumer groups working to protect the health of consumers and workers by requiring the health and beauty industry to phase out the use of dangerous chemicals and replace them with safer alternatives. Through the Campaign, over 1,000 companies have joined the effort by signing the Compact for Safe Cosmetics. Environmental Working Group is a founding partner of the Campaign.

view wiki
Eco-Babyz is part of the Lunch.com Network - Get this on your site
()
This is you!
Ranked #
Last login
comments
ratings
questions
compliments
lists